Tuesday, May 27, 2008

My Favorite Summer Memories (growin' up)

Today's post is all about Summer Memories.


The Berg's have always had a garden, and a lot of my summer memories were made around the garden. When I was growing up we were all taught to garden by the hand of my Uncle Woodrow. He was an amazing gardener and could almost grow a car from an old tire. He was particular, and everything had to be done right, but it's always better to learn the right way to do something than the wrong way! My Dad and my Uncle Dale were taught the same thing and have taught us all that way too. Anyway the garden was Uncle Woodrow's joy when he was alive and we still try to make it a thing of beauty now. Everyone who can, helps plant, weed, water, and harvest the garden. It's an all summer job, but fun too!

When it's time to bring in the harvest, it's a big job, and usually the Lord blesses us with a bumper crop, enough to feed 15 families and sometimes more. When we were young, we all had to help with the canning process. My Dad even helped(and still does). Tomato juice is the worst and makes the biggest mess, but we were always laughing while we did it. I still enjoy canning vegetables with my Mom and now my kids are learning how to do it too.

4 comments:

RoRo2 said...

What a wonderful garden, I wish I was around and could help I love gardens and everything they produce! Oh yummy homegrown veggies!

Jenny said...

I love gardens!!! I want some garden tomato's right now, to add to my heartburn

jessi said...

Jacob actually taught me the ways of tomato juice canning. I am so grateful for that every harvest because it is my favorite. Let's just keep up the memory and teach our kids the same things you guys learned growing up!

katrina berg said...

i love this post, and the berg gardening/canning tradition! So glad to be a part of this family...i learn so much!