Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Pre-1840 Classes-OPTIONAL

At Nationals they offer free classes in different Pre-1840 subjects for adults and teenagers to take. Usually they have kids games for the children(3-12) during the time of the adult classes so more people can participate. I am usually involved in helping with the kids activities, they get to listen to Indian legends, bead necklaces, learn to play and make games like Turtles & Bears, and learn what kids did in the pre-1840's
This year I was asked to do kids trade blanket instead, so the only pictures of kids games I took were of the last event,
the Candy Cannon.
Candy cannon is a small cannon loaded with wrapped candy, a little black powder, and the plug. It's noisy and the kids love it, except for the pieces for candy that got blow apart by the black powder.

Lyn went to 2 classes this time. One was on shooting Primitive Bow & Arrows, which he is been thinking about getting into. He said the class was very interesting and informative. He also went to a Survival Class, and got a lot of good ideas of stuff to take not only to Rendezvous, but also when he is hunting.

This is Howdy teaching the class on bow & arrows

My favorite class took was the class for Quill Work. The demonstration was free, but the class cost $15. We received hands on instruction from Jean, and got to quill this medicine bag. I learned 2 different stitches, and also learned that I enjoy quill work. Our instructor Jean, said that my work was pretty good for a 1st timer, and that my stitches will get better with practice. Now all I have to do is find someone to shoot me a porcupine so I can salvage the quills, and get to work.

1 comment:

Jacob said...

Sorry Heather, I haven't seen a porcupine here in Switzerland yet, or I would be sure and send one to you! I looks like you all had a great time camping and playing in the outdoors.