Tuesday, July 29, 2008

TTA- Favorite Summer Food/Treat

Summer= Camping
The Epperson Family's favorite camping food is cooked in the Dutch Oven!
Cobbler is a favorite Dutch Oven food,
but that recipe is a family secret, as is our
Dutch Oven Salmon.
So this recipe hasn't been labeled a secret recipe yet, so I'll share with you.
Dutch Oven German Pancakes with Blueberries

*1/2 cube butter *6 Eggs

*1 C. Milk *1 C. flour

*1/2 C. sugar *1 tsp. Vanilla

*1/2 tsp. Salt *2 handfuls blueberries

Pre-heat Dutch Oven & start the coals (we use the camp chef for both) & add butter stir until melted. In a bowl mix together milk, flour, sugar, vanilla, and salt whisk together. Add eggs one at a time whisking after each(HA~that never happens) whisk until everything is well blended.

Pour egg mixture over melted butter and put 2 handfuls of blueberries on top.

Cook with 8 coals on bottom, 18 coals on top, for 18-20 mins. You aren't supposed to check on them while they are cooking because they will shrink down, but Lyn always checks towards the end and they turn out fine. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.

They are good in the oven too, but the are Excellent in the Dutch Oven.

Everything tastes better cooked in the Dutch Oven.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

I have two huge whole salmon in my freezer, any idea's what to do with them?????

Rachel said...

I am so trying that recipe! We love them in the oven, but the dutch oven and blue berries will be wonderful!

VickiJ said...

I love cast iron cooking, except is often too hot in the summer. I have three Dutch ovens that I haven't been carrying with me. But I might have to start again this fall.

*Crusan said...

YUUUUUMMMMYYYYYYYYY! Sounds good! I finallt found that TTA blog...but still have not done one!
those sound yum-o!

RoRo2 said...

Yum! Yum! Yum! YUM! Is all I can say about that!

Shellie said...

Mmmm That looks yummy! I just tried the dutch oven over the 24th as well, it worked out great!